At Landscape Pro’s we are experts in knowing about… Year-Round Landscaping & Garden Maintenance.
Maintaining a beautiful landscaping garden year-round requires strategic planning and hands-on care. In this article, Landscape Pro’s provides tips specifically for homeowners and residents of Manassas, Manassas Park, Gainesville, VA, and the surrounding areas.
For those who don’t know… the best times to prune different plants and trees to promote healthy growth and maintain an attractive landscape is provided below.
Most customers ask what month should I start pruning?
- Most trees should be pruned during the late dormant winter season (February – March). Pruning during these times is generally regarded as the best time to prune most deciduous trees.
- Use the one-third rule, when it comes to pruning your fully established shrubs and small trees. Pruning up to 1/3 of the plant’s wood and growth can be done during this time.
Again, Late winter or early spring are some of the best times for pruning shrubs and small trees.
What is the proper pruning technique?
- Proper pruning techniques require cuts that do not damage either the branch bark ridge or the branch collar.
- A proper cut begins just outside the branch bark ridge and angles down away from the stem of the tree, avoiding injury to the branch collar.
What branches do you cut when pruning?
(1) Prune all branches above four feet growing toward the center of the tree.
(2) Always cut back to a larger branch of the trunk.
(3) Don’t cut to see over branches, but to see through them.
(4) Cut off branches that cross over each other, or rub against the trunk, or are dead branches.
Soil Enrichment Strategies:
- It’s recommended to know the local soil composition in your landscaping design to enhance it for optimal plant health and growth.
- To do this, use organic amendments and mulching techniques to improve the soil fertility and structure.
Pest Control Solutions:
- If your landscaping has pests… identify the common pests you see, and those in the regional area.
- Once identified, then use eco-friendly pest control solutions available at your nearest Big-Box store in Virginia.
At Landscape Pro’s, we emphasize the importance of early detection and prevention to keep your gardens and landscaping healthy and to ensure that your plants, trees, shrubs, and gardens can thrive. Give us a call, email us, or make an appointment for all your landscaping needs. We are Pro’s in Year-Round Landscaping & Garden Maintenance.